Does your gold trendy jewelry impress like it did when you first got it? If the answer is no, then your gold jewelry likely hasn’t been cleaned in awhile, or maybe you’ve never cleaned it at all. Not to worry — this precious metal is actually fairly easy to clean and it doesn’t take too long. However, if there is some serious grime that won’t come off, you may need to take it to a professional for cleaning.
Gold may come and go when it comes to the latest fashion trends, but gold jewelry is actually a wise investment, as the fashion world always ends up falling back in love with gold tones. Even after years of silver jewelry dominance, gold trendy jewelry always finds its way back to the top of the charts.
To keep that sparkle and shine in your gold jewelry, keep up on maintenance and cleaning, such as:
- To clean your jewelry properly, mix a little soap and water together and wipe the surface with a soft cloth. The soap should be mild and contain no phosphates of any kind. If you don’t clean your gold jewelry, you run the risk of becoming that person who always wears their favorite rings but then begs her friends not to look too closely. Otherwise, they’d see the grime!
- After you’ve cleaned the gold jewelry, lie it flat on the soft cloth and allow it to completely dry before putting it back in your jewelry box.
- Purchase a gold jewelry polish cloth, which should be available at your local jeweler’s. Follow the instructions on the packaging to remove any dullness and bring back the shine of the world’s favorite metal.
- Do not store gold jewelry with other types of jewelry. Gold is actually a rather malleable metal and can easily be scratched by other harder metals. Either purchase have a small, separate space for your gold jewelry or hang it up on your jewelry display without letting it touch the other pieces.
- Remove gold rings when applying hand lotion or when washing your hands. Do not allow your jewelry to come into contact with any chemical or acidic substances, as you may permanently damage or stain the metal’s surface.
These cleaning tips for gold trendy jewelry also apply to jewelry that is gold-plated or has at least gold as 1/20th of the metal. However, if it is gold-plated, be especially careful not to scratch the surface.